The Gunnison Valley Regional Housing Authority’s MISSION is to advocate, promote, plan and provide the long-term supply of desirable and affordable housing in Gunnison County in order to maintain a well-rounded community.
1. Promote the development and maintenance of housing that is affordable to many economic sectors of the population. A variety of mechanisms shall be used to encourage a diversity of housing types and sizes as well as a diversity of ownership, rental and residence tenure for the units.
2. Work with Gunnison County and all municipalities within the county and municipal planning agencies to encourage the development of affordable housing and eliminate constraints to such housing development. Counsel government staff and agencies as to possible housing-friendly changes to zoning and land use policies.
3. Participate in available federal and state housing support and assistance programs to acquire funding for provision of affordable housing. In addition, work with all municipalities and private interests to access funding and/or land resources for housing production.
4. Whenever possible, provide housing that is within close proximity to the employment locations of residents. In particular, provide housing opportunities that are relatively close to employment centers in the Gunnison Valley and new employment centers.
5. Maintain the affordability of existing and newly-constructed housing stock. Techniques that can be used include rental agreements, deed restrictions, ownership of land and subsequent leasing of that land. The Board intends to work closely with the GVRHA to utilize these techniques. (In specific cases, affordability must take into account HOA/Association fees and HUD-mandated utility allowances).
6. Form working relationships with housing providers. Assist the private sector with the construction and maintenance of affordable, employee units. Encourage public-private partnerships.
7. Encourage “housing mobility” for current renter households by providing affordable ownership opportunities. The transition out of a rental unit, in turn, will increase the availability of rental units to low-moderate income households.
8. Promote well-designed, energy efficient housing units. Attention should be paid to solar access, community-oriented development and the livability of each affordable housing unit.
9. Promote equal opportunity in housing throughout Gunnison County.